When you are in need of help on a major repair or new project, consider the following advice when choosing a contractor.
1. Have open communication with the person you are considering. They should be willing to answer questions. Take notes on the agreed work and draw up a signed contract.
2. If you are considering repairing or completing the project yourself and have any doubt about your abilities to handle the job, you would be wise to hire a pro.
3. When a problem is identified, it is best to take care of it immediately. Waiting only compounds the problem. If it is the AC for instance, parts may need ordered which could delay the repair.
4. Avoid hiring someone who solicits door to door for work.
5. It is best to address the cause of the problem, rather than throwing a quick fix to the problem. This would especially be true with a septic system, a roof, a plumbing leak, etc.
6. Acquire at least three bids. Be cautious of overly high or low bids.
7. Check out jobs completed by the contractor you are considering and ask for references.
8. Don't pay up front. Set up a payment schedule based on the stages of completion.
#dreamlandinteriors #contractor #homeremodeling #HVC #DIYprojects #homeimprovement
Natalie A. Gauci
Licensed Interior Designer working in the Tampa Bay, Florida area.